No announcement yet.

MTO Rotor Blade.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeh rito Dean were not Gyro pilots were factory pilots and Birdy i speak in riddles .So riddle me this .With the teeter you speak about maybe 6 deg why do we have a AD directive of 14 deg.With all your flight experience and all your posts about high energy maneuvers etc in your honest opinion including pilot experience is MTO sport unsuitable for mustering simple YES or NO.No.You can use any thing you like. Back years ago I used

Comment

Iv been sayn for years, it depends on wot you call "mustern".A high power to weight, close coupled gyro with proper suspension, prespinner and NO cab, is ideal for mustern.If your just spotn, all you need is sumthn, abit more comfortable and preferably witha roof [ like a cassna], that you can sit in all day ata cumfy hight, coz your not go"n to be below treetop hight, WOT and min AS.

Comment

I know you fellas wont agree but maybe Choppers right, just maybe there is a new breed of instructors for the new generation European style gyrosMy instructor made me do 10 laps draggin my **** and mains in my benson up and down the strip with hand spun rotors just so I knew what it felt like. Then he showed me how to keep the nose just off the ground and keep gaining air speed. We all know how it felt when you first leave the ground all by your self for the first time ... I think I cryed out for my mum. My instructor is a highly regarded MTO instructor and he teaches the basics as well. I started my training with Waddles who I also highly regard. I can"t agree more about grass roots training before flying any gyro.Never hit my stops. Because we have big blades do we need less angle as we don"t teeter as much? Because the tip speeds are much higher with large blades is the flight symmetry better? The MTO is a tandem therefore we don’t seem to porpoise as much in flight (I have also flown side by side and single)? I understand that hitting stops is caused by large swings on the teeter bolt i.e. hinging at take-off or being close to VNE when the difference in air speed at the tips (as lift is greatest against the leading and lagging rotor tips). When in a high bank turn does the gyro swing into a new centre of gravity keeping the mast relatively perpendicular to the hub? Trying not to sound too technical - just trying to get my head around the difference in angles for each machine.Cheers,Gordo

Comment

Gordo,With respect I think u got a fair bit of that a&& around, in a 2 seater with big rotors 1 up the blades spin slower nd thus tester MORE which is where the problems start, nd then u get a little bit neg G nd where are u then?

Comment

G"day Bones,Just calculated my tip speed based on 320 rpm to be 515 kph. Be interested to know what the shorter blades are gettingCheers,

Comment

If thats wot your instructer had you do, then count yourself lucky, coz it seems alot dont.Long blades, short blades, heavy machines, lite machines, long ones short ones, it dont matter to the teetering angle.Wot matters is disc loading and AS.Short blades will spin faster, so the tip speed would be bout the same.If you are near the correct disc loading, the teeter angle will be bout the same in all conditions no matter the size the blade or wots hangn under it.Its all relative.As i said, the average machine, in S/L flight, need no more n 3-4* teeter.But you gota get it off the ground too.Ever spun up ina 40kt breeze?The AS difference between advancing and retreating blades is MUCH greater at 50rrpm than at 500 rrpm, so they need more teetering room till they get sum speed up.There are other times, off the ground, where youll need more than the 4*+4* of teetering room, but them glorified bathtubes will never be able to do it, so its not an issue ere. And bout the porpoise [ PIO ] , Its more to do with the highly damped airframe than its length that prevents it from this pilot induced boogyman.

Comment

I just wanna butt back in here because I"ve seen more than one person say leading or lagging blade already.

Comment

Yup, riddles.It took me a while to figure wot he was tryn to say and yes, i shoulda corrected him firstup.

Comment

Thanks Birdy and Disco,Like I said I have only 120 hours under my belt and my post was more of a question than a statement to get the worms out of the wood work. Is lead and lag a term used with rotorcraft in another application or is it just bad slang. Also a bit lost on the damped air frame. Its what I love about gyros - you can never learn too much.Cheers,

Comment

Lead lag is another thing happening altogether.

Comment

Sportcopter, as far as im aware, make the only [gyro] rotor with lead/lag hinges in the hub bar.Put simply, they allow the indervidual blades to "self center" airodynamic drag.[ supposed to eliminate the 2per shake in ridged rotors.]Basicaly a virtical hinge at the root end.

Comment

Also a bit lost on the damped air frame.Theres a bucket load of info on such things on this net thingy, and if i knew how to, id point you in the rite direction.But [ agin, simply ] an undamped airframe is one thats free to "float under the spindle bolt. No other forces onit cept lift [ rotor], gravity, thrust [prop] and drag.A damped airframe is "preloaded" airodynamicaly by a HS thats constantly provideing down force wenever theres airflowing over it. [ cept ina strong updraft].These down loading HS also HELP prevent PPOs [ in HTL machines] coz as the machine starts to pitch over, it gets a higher AOA and holds the ass down.Any machine that has a dunny door sized HS ona long leaver, pitched nose down will never be flown at the rate of an undamped machine.

Comment

Sportcopter, as far as im aware, make the only [gyro] rotor with lead/lag hinges in the hub bar.Put simply, they allow the indervidual blades to "self center" airodynamic drag.[ supposed to eliminate the 2per shake in ridged rotors.]Basicaly a virtical hinge at the root end.Birdy, ELA"s had em as well. I believe the later hub bars don"t utilize them.Regards......Chook.

Comment

I knew I had seen this somewhere else besides the latest gyronews before... here"s a link from 2010, it concerns modified Aircopter blades that were used on the Mto"s up till 2006 and then Mto made their own blades, has there been cracks since then?http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27399

Comment

Working...
                              X