Working on revolutionary new design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on revolutionary new design

Hello all,I hope this is in the right place. I am currently working on a revolutionary new design and was after some input from all of you.This gyro design will be extremely stable and easy to fly. It will be dual controls similar to a Jabiru for instructional flights, for single pilot operation one seat can be slid into the centre eliminating any need for counterweight or allow for baggage to be carried either side and will be turbine powered so when it taxis past it will smell like an F18. The turbine engine will be slightly larger than those used in model jet aircraft as seen at Avalon, it will produce sufficient power to drive a propeller like a turbo prop yet weigh a fraction of a similar powered Rotax. Yes I am for real. It will have a wonderful instruction manual. Will submit drawings in due course to show the validity of the design.I would like input from genuinely interested parties including ideas for suitable test pilots as I have very little flying experience in these types of machines.Should give Firebird Paul's firebird, flaming budgie, or plastic parrot or whatever he calls it, a run for it's money!flyinhi

Ever seen that movie called 'The Castle?'I'll watch with interest.Regards,Nick.

Comment

Are you going to be using a constant speed prop? My understanding is that turbines are designed to work at a steady RPM, and spin up/down rather slowly, pretty much requiring that thrust be adjusted by prop pitch.

Comment

If you are serios flyini, then Peter is correct - you will need a cockpit adjustable propeller, further adding to the cost of the turbine.Most commercially available turbines in the required horsepower range (80 plus) are a bit bigger than those used in model aeroplanes and most are fairly expensive to buy and operate, and have to be fittred with a reduction drive.Tim McClure

Comment

Why is anyone taking this guy seriously???He slags off in our forums, and he won't even post his name and address! Now he is asking for help with his revolutionary new design, and wants someone to stick their hand up as a test pilot!

Comment

It already is there.Can't you read or do you just pick on everyone?flyinhi

Comment

My apologies.It took you long enough...Mind you, the name still looks bogus to me...

Comment

Good on yer,Lloyd,ya big bully. Nigel, some questions for you - * What are you going to build that will make it 'revolutionary'? * Have you the moulds to build the cabin( I suppose it will be composite)? * Will it be tall tail or conventional? * What undercarriage will you use? * What type of pre rotator wil it have?( Hyd., electric,mech.?) * How do you propose to build a big enough fuel tank to run a turbine? Why do you want it to smell like a FA18? * are you going to market this machine , or will it be a 'one-off'? * Will it consist of any wrought iron work? * Have you got a TA close handy to assist in building? * Can I test fly it for you? Looking forward to see your progress, maybe we'll see you at next years Nats . Cheers Eric

Comment

Actually Echo....im designing a new revoltinly new design constructed of wrought iron and powered by a hydrogen peroxide rocket motorDesign alows for 3 syncronised rotors of about 12 feet diameter andis fitted with an ejection seat as a safety featureWill you be my test pilot as im to scared to even sit in it

Comment

If the ejection seat is synconised with the rotors it should be right.Best of luck Eric

Comment

Blood oath, I'll fly it ,Mark. So long as you paint it the same colour blue as your single seater.( I like blue). Three sets of blades - you could have one set Patronney's,one AKs & the third Jack Allens. Hydrogen Peroxide? Theres a sheila out at work that uses that....(?)

Comment

NigelGreat to have you on board??The best advice I think I can give you at the moment is "don't build anything yet". Go out and get some gyro flying experience and meet as many gyro people as you can. Get a basic conventional machine and learn to fly it.Many thousands of hours have been wasted on building machines that are never going to fly. Good LuckRoss B

Comment

Being the closest TA to Nigel I would like to get involved in this project.I have some leftover items from when I used to mess with steam locomotives,wheels,drawbars,etc and will donate them if it helps.I think Nigel you should talk to Dr John Evans about useing old cooking oil instead of kero in the turbine.Why smell like an F18 when you can smell like chips?.M Barker

Comment

Maybe we could get Mitch to do something in stone......maybe not.:-)Flying - The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. (Douglas Adams-The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

Comment

Good one Telf,As Nick might put it....YeeeHaaa rocksfly!!!!!Pralala. Interesting name hey Lloyd, is it in the book? www.thebutterflyllc.com

Comment

Working...
                              X