Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Link to video

Comment

Might as well join the fray!I bought Otmar Bickner"s MT03 back in 2007 from Skyranch & after his trip around Australia. As a result of that experience I can relate that I was at the forefront of attempts to bring certain people into line because of a number of bad experiences during training & thereafter; mostly involving faulty parts & lax or non-existent documentation. So, please do not point the finger at the (then) members of the Board. I, for one, was bringing a lot of pressure to bear through hard evidence. I still have every email from that period.I thank the Board for all their assistanceNow to the present.I have had over five years of absolute enjoyment from my trusty MT03 (514 Hours); I fly it as if it were my old Thruster from UK days; expect it to bite at any time!; my strip is 300m long with HT wires at one end & 150 ft trees at the other; then miles of trees from there to the coast. So it"s thorough PFI"s & PFC"s at all times.Removed & checked my rotor blades & hub bar today; all appear OKCouple of further points1. During training my instructor would not permit me to increase tension on the throttle lever clutch (my Machine!). As a result each time I landed the inertia in my arm would force the lever forward if I forgot to hold it tight against the back stop. Result - fast acceleration & loss of control in the landing phase. Could this be the cause of some ground handling problems in new pilots?2. I never see check list mnemonics discussed. Any takers to come with a comprehensive foolproof PFC list3. Recently drove across the Great Central Road from Leonora to Winton; saw one camel (well done Birdy)

Comment

Birdy remember your post about High energy maneuvers.?????????No.But the reason why everyone who is go"n to fly on autorotating rotors, no matter wot sorta machine they are bolted to, is so they get a REAL understanding of the physics involved.Park your machine with the nose into the wind [ ona gentle wind day], breaks on, keys in ya pocket.It will depend on alota aspects of your machine, but if it hasa stick lok, lock it full forward and center. Spin um up as fast as you can by hand [ even if it means stepn on your precious cab], jump in the seat and EASE the stick back.If it starts to touch the stops, ease forward till the rrpm comes up. As the rrpms come up, ease back till its on the backstop. LISTEN to the blades, you can hear the tips startn to autorotate as the speed increases [ faint wooshn sound]. Once you can hear this you know the rrpm will increase quicker coz they are now autorotating.Just try it [ while noones lookn if thats your problem], youll be supprised at how much you can teach yourself bout autorotation, just by playn with the AOA on the disc ina breeze.And you wont get hurt.Could this be the cause of some ground handling problems in new pilots??????Run that past me agin Joe, i cant make head or tail of wot it is you recon the problem is.

Comment

Birdy,Sending them on their own to try what you just said does assume some knowledge.

Comment

Scarier than that Deano the guy here was told hand starting the blades "can"t be done " nd that he nd his INSTRUCTER tried nd couldn"t do nd think that was when the rotor kissed the tail so they gave up

Comment

Sorry to carry on a bit but I just don"t want someone to smash their tail for one and blame you for second.Not carryn on at all Dean, your spoton, and im pissed i didnt think of the obvious, like haven sumone who knows with you.An instructer who dont know/cant hand start???WTF is the world comen to?And all this hand startn thingo has nuthn to do with known how to if your prespinner craps itself.Its bout [wot should be]mandatory, basic rotor management, simple as that.

Comment

Don"t panic fellers my biggest prob will be reaching the rotor... stand on rear seat.Stick back a bit little wobble stick forward tease em up may take a couple of runs 18/36 pending wot the soks tellen me.would you fellers stick foward on ya turns point at win direction save possible hinging don"t worry i"ll be talking to ta he might wanna back seat anyway.Dean I been thinking about ya question ill try to explain best i can sorry fellers this may be painful Steve 009 get a bucket.Right here goes.You were askin max min stick foward rear and wind speed i think.As you increase air speed straight n level ya rotor teetering left right increses lead lag until VNE slower ya go teetering front rear.Hard turning with speed will cause load coning to a degree but rotor speed also increases adding and adding the faster and tighterI got a little yellow marker on me rotor RPM 420 Didn"t wanna exceed 420.Level out woosh theres 100 foot until they settle back down to 320 rpm Need to be careful sudden hard left turn at speed cause of the lett right teetering risk of hinging.How did i go.Jess gunna grab a beer after that effort.Mike.

Comment

Hi all,My name is Mick Post, I have just purchased the Auto-Gyro Australia dealership. I was absolutely blown away when I read the article in the ASRA magazine !!After contacting Germany, the actual fact are:Fact: The blades I the article are not Genuine MTO blades!! This is easily confirmed by the amount of attachment bolts. MTO RS1blades have 9 bolts. Fact: This machine was a grey import!Fact: No MTO has ever been sold by Auto-Gyro Australia with these blades!Fact: No Calidud has ever been sold in Germany or Australia bu authorised dealers. RegardsMick Post.

Comment

Hi BirdyThanksSlack throttle clutch; touching down at 30kt; ease back on stick; gyro slows to 10kt in 3secs; slight jolt on ground contact (hopefully); left hand/arm has stacks of potential energy; converted to kinetic energy; hand/arm shoots forward & takes throttle maybe only 20mm; result is 4000 engine rpm; rotor is still at 250rpm; very unstable situation; resultant engine torque swings gyro to left; problem worse if crosswindThis happened to me a number of times during training; on first solo gyro LHS main wheel apparently rose 400mm; instructor had never seen a gyro recover from that angle; I was just dead lucky; old seasoned tail dragger pilot with many ground loops to his discredit I suppose.Despite instructor protestations I adjusted (tightened up) the throttle; never happened again.I wish to add to my last post that many good things have happened at Skyranch since my early experience & with people like Mike Post & Neil Farr I for one am happy.Joe

Comment

Mike. It"s great that you"re having a crack at it but u need to re read the question. I didn"t re read it myself but I remember it was about teeter magnitude at differing airspeed.I can see that it"s not clear to you which is ok as long as you"re learning and not learning from people who have no idea.

Comment

Acknowledged my apologies Dean I spent some time on the mower today think"n about it.There is some magic in auto rotation.Teetering/chordwise/disc/speed/airfoil/asymmetry.Birdy"s post is good read on high energy maneuvers.I"m still working on it.There"s something going on in me head while flying its feedback from ya rotors like a sixth sense.Besides x/y/z of flyn.Never boring.TA just mentioned slow airspeed with high maneuvers will cause stress on blades and possible more coning an blades.If your flying speed was slower you would be behind the power curve and slowly sink to the ground.

Comment

Hi all,My name is Mick Post, I have just purchased the Auto-Gyro Australia dealership. I was absolutely blown away when I read the article in the ASRA magazine !!After contacting Germany, the actual fact are:Fact: The blades I the article are not Genuine MTO blades!! This is easily confirmed by the amount of attachment bolts. MTO RS1blades have 9 bolts. Fact: This machine was a grey import!Fact: No MTO has ever been sold by Auto-Gyro Australia with these blades!Fact: No Calidud has ever been sold in Germany or Australia bu authorised dealers. RegardsMick Post.

Comment

Maybe this will refresh ya memory birdy it was in pilot techniques.Been thinkn bout wots been posted about hub bar failures and high energy manuvers, and i think a point may have been missed.Wot most people think of when they hear the term "high energy manuver" mite have some thinkn they"re safe coz they don"t do them.And this could be a problem i think.Anyone can stress rotors, experianced or not, and its got less to do with the style of flyn and more to do with an understanding of wot stresses a blade in a way that its not desigened to handle.Ozy Woz,[ for those who saw him at Cooma this year], was performing wot i recon most people would call "high energy manuvers". In a sence they"d be right, but not in the sence of applying damageing stress on a rotor/ hub bar.The stress he was dishn out is the sorta stress a rotor CAN handle.[ solong as you apply this stress properly.][ sorry if i"m not explaining meself very well.]The main

Comment

touching down at 30ktWith respect mate, your hassle had nuthn to do with the machine setup.Iv seen cessnas land slower n that.You say your an old tail drager, try dragn the gyros tail, all your problems solved in one step. [ why the hell any instructers are sendn pilots out with that sorta landn, ina f***n gyro, is beyond my comprehension. > ]Maybe this will refresh ya memory birdyBloodyell!!Where did ya find that??I cant remember any of it.F****!!!!!!!!!!!! .............

Comment

Birdy still working on magnitude of teetering at different air speeds.Call me #$%^ but don"t call me old #$%^.as far as i understand teetering increases left right straight n level as airspeed increases.cause the airspeed on leading rotor is its speed plus your air speed.the lagging rotor blade is same rotors speed minus air speed.the faster your airspeed the more this differential.adding to the magnitude of teetering.Air moving up thru the rotor causes the spinning.Centrifugal force causes disking or its rigidness.in equilibrium with load force and rpm.more positive attack angle or back stick and thrust or airspeed.The asymmetry changes when flying slower rotor RPM constant the teetering changes front rear.As the airspeed slows the on leading rotor blade and the lagging rotor blade air speed begins to increase.causing front rear teetering.the pitch back stick is more positive so the lift effect of the air forced upward is increased.The airfoil high and low pressure lift effect and pitch control sum results in controlled climb descend lift.Isak Newton had an apple prompt him about gravity. Ivor Benson probably got the spinning seed pod prompt him on Gyroplane.I"ll probably just get a big stick...more pain.Hows that Dean/Birdy.

Comment

Working...
                                X